Monday, April 24, 2006

Scary Movie 4 Fresh Or Stale *May Contain Spoilers*



[The Freshness]

So going in to this one my expectations were not high. The biggest reason for me to see this movie was the fact that I had a free pass from the Derailed DVD. Free will usually outweigh what morals or standards one may have.

The movie starts off making fun of Saw, with Shaq and Dr. Phil locked in the room. One of the more funny scenes in the movie. War of the Worlds, The Grudge, The Village and Saw are the main targets of the spoof. Only slightly better than the third, just barely, this movie has made quite a bit of money in the last two weeks and I cannot really see why.

[The Staleness]

My expectations were also set pretty low. I loved the first Scary Movie, thought it was fantastic. The second one, not so much. The third one was even more of a let down. This one looked slightly amusing from the trailers, and it was a matinee, so I went along when The Freshness gave me a call.

While this one did parody a lot of movies, it did seem to focus mostly on War of the Worlds and The Grudge, so if you haven’t seen either of those two movies, a lot of references will be wasted. A movie like this that focuses so heavily on a small number of previous movies should have prerequisites listed so you know what movies you need to have seen before moving on to this one.

[The Verdict]

[The Freshness] Overall this movie is pretty Stale. Save your money wait for cable, or even the Network Broadcast premiere. The best part of the movie was the Clerks II trailer.

[The Staleness] Despite having some funny scenes, there are not enough, and way too long of a wait between laughs. On the whole, I would have to congree that it’s fairly Stale. See it for free or cheap if you can. It makes me sad in the pants that the same David Zucker that did Airplane!, Police Squad!, Top Secret!, Ruthless People, The Naked Gun, and BASEketball, also did Scary Movie 3 and 4.

No comments: