Sunday, February 26, 2006

Match Point Fresh Or Stale? *May Contain Spoilers*

[The Freshness]

So it was some time ago that we saw this. The main character is some guy that was a tennis pro then became an instructor. One day he gets a student, they become friends. Starts to date his friends sister...blah blah they get married. The guy then decides he wants his friend's wife*. Granted it is Scarlett Johansson. MMMM yummy. Anyways there is some cheating, no nudity (Damn). Stuff happens.

Well first off the movie is directed by Woody Allen, which is strike one in my book. Hate that bastard. Anyway, I was told there would be some S.J. nudity...lies...Strike Two. So what was strike three you wonder? I'm not actually sure what strike three was but, I know there was one. My memory is terrible and since I did not really like this flick I do not really remember much about it. Your up you Stale MF.

[The Staleness]

Well I was enticed to this one by the previously mentioned promise of Scarlett nudity, although I entered with some disbelief since I would think that I would have heard about that, as such a thing would have made big news, in the circles I run in anyways. Then I found out it was a Woody Allen movie, and had pretty much the same reaction to that as The Freshness did. Then I downloaded the trailer... and I was intrigued. Although the trailer really sets you up to expect a different kind of movie, I hate when they do that.

I liked this movie better the first time... when it was called Closer. I was not the only one in the theater to compare the two movies after Match Point ended. That being said, I liked it. It is very slowly paced, especially in the beginning, plenty of character development and set up for the events to come. At the end it couldn't go fast enough for me, not because I wanted the end to come, as The Freshness did, but because I was eager to see how it would all play out.

[Verdict]

[The Freshness] I Am going to have to go with very Stale in my book. I just did not like it very much. Don't get me wrong the movie definitely had potential but I think it fell short.

[The Staleness] As great as it would have been to see the promised nudity, they did show a good amount of Scarlett skin. As I greatly enjoyed the story, and the way it played out, I would definitely brand this one as Fresh and worth a watch.

*Edit-Scarlett was not married to his friend they were engaged.

No comments: